Monday, September 5, 2011

The Last of Comedy Crunch

The end is nearing.

Today was a very relaxed day. My sister and I started the day off in our usual Costa Coffee place on Dame Street.

The next mission was to find me a book. We had gone to a couple places with no luck. I then went to Sweny's Chemist. This is a pharmacy that was made famous by the Irish author James Joyce's novel "Ulysses". The main character, Leopold Bloom would come into the shop and get lemon soap.

Today, the place is no longer a pharmacy, but a small bookstore and a place where literature fanatics can go and enjoy a setting of a famous novel.

The place still has the old pharmacy feeling and old books lay in the center of the place. I begin talking to the lady working there. We soon discuss literature and it was such a nice thing to talk about literature! I always get giddy when I find someone who shares a passion for great literature like I do.

This wasn't the first time I had gone to the shop. I had gone a month earlier to inquire about "Ulysses" readings that the shop did. Every Thursday evenings at 7 pm, they read a chapter from "Ulysses". Earlier that day I had talked to an older gentleman that totally looked like a crazy chemist! It was great! We begin talking about classic literature and I was in heaven. The people that I hung out with in Ireland were mostly concern with partying and didn't want to have deep conversations about history and literature.

That night I went to one of the readings and it was fun. They served tea to the guests and I sat in the back, where I met a couple from the States that always went to Ireland for vacation. The small place was jammed pack with people for the reading. There was a cute, young man that was leading the readings. Everyone took turns reading a page. There was many Irish words I could not pronounce, so I stumbled a lot. But it was okay because there was a lot of people there that English was not their first language.

This visit, with my sister, I took pictures of the place, but found no book. I wish I could work here. It would be the best job.

I went to a Barnes and Noble type of bookstore and got a book about the Viking invasion of Ireland.

After a day of just wondering and relaxing, Catherine and I headed to the Sheeban Chic for my last Comedy Crunch :(. It was a good show as always, but I was so sad that it was going to be my last. I had been to every one's last show and now it was my time.

As the show ended, I went to the back to make a donation. I always left before they brought out the donation bucket, so I wanted to make sure I made a donation for all the fun times I had there. I asked Catherine if I should say good bye to Colm and Danny. Catherine yelled that I totally should and how dare I think otherwise. I just didn't know if it was going to be awkward.

But I knew my sister was right so I walked up to them, as they were taking down the stage, to say goodbye. I asked for a picture with them and they were more than happy to take one. Colm and Danny were so funny week after week and I loved going to the Comedy Crunch every week. I always looked forward to it.

It is so crazy to think that in a few days I am not going to be in Ireland anymore. A new adventure in the U.K. is going to begin.

The end is near.


The entrance to Sweny Chemist.


Bloom getting some lemon soap!


Inside the shop.


Inside the shop.


Inside the shop.


Inside the shop.


Me with Colm and Danny. The hosts of the Comedy Crunch. Funny guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment