Saturday, September 3, 2011

Tours of the Living

I love exploring cities.

Today was a full day for my sister and I exploring Dublin. We started off by having breakfast at our hostel. It wasn't anything special, but it was free. We just had some cereal. I am not a morning person. Catherine took our bowls and found out that she had to hand wash them. I felt bad that she had to wash them and I didn't help.

We then went near the Stag's Head for a walking tour. This is a free walking tour of Dublin for people staying at hostels. We were early so we went to Costa Coffee to get some coffee in order to kill some time. I usually don't really like Costa Coffee but now I love it! Their mochas and such are not the best, but I tried a Coffee Cooler and it was amazing! You can think of it as a thick frappiccino. I believe that it is better than the frappiccino because there is more of a coffee flavor and I like that it is more on the shake side, in terms of consistency.

10 am is when our tour was to begin. We entered the Stag's Head and split up into two groups, since a lot of people turned out for the tour. Our tour guide was named David and he was classic. He was very knowledgeable about what he was talking about, but he also presented the information in a fun way. He was hilarious!

He took us all over Dublin. That is the good and bad about Dublin. It is great that you can see everything in Dublin in a day or so, but that is also the downside. After a day or two, you have to be creative in what you do. I was really happy that Catherine was able to see everything that I have been exploring for the last couple of months.

On the tour we went to Dublin Castle, Chirstchurch, Temple Bar area, walked along the River Liffey, and eventually ended at St. Stephen's Green. Like I said before, our tour guide was hilarious. The Viking Splash Tour came by us and did their signature screams. Instead of screaming back, David yelled that their helmets were historically inaccurate. I laughed so hard. It is true! David also told us that the cobble stones in the Temple Bar area are not original and were put there because tourist love cobble stones. David claim that when tourist get off the plane they can smell cobble stones. I was dieing of laughter.

This tour was so much fun. Though I had been to the sights before, I learned different things at each stop. If you are staying at a hostel and have the opportunity to go on a free walking tour, go! It doesn't cost you anything but a tip to the guide and you get so much out of it!

By the time the tour was done, it was lunch time. Catherine and I went to Insomnia Coffee Shop to get coffee and something to eat. We sat in St. Stephen's Green for a bit and ate and people watch. Eventually it started to sprinkle, so we got up and walked.

I was in dire need of a book, so we went to some bookshops, but I found nothing. I went next door to the Sony store because I really needed headphones. When I got to the hostel yesterday, I realized that I had lost my headphones. Maybe I shipped them home? I really hope that I shipped them home because I have had those for years and it would be such a pity just to lose them. I purchased some pink headphones.

We then walked around for a little bit and then headed back to the hostel to hang out for a while. We were going to have a busy evening....

No comments:

Post a Comment