Thursday, June 2, 2011

Insurance Companies: A Rant

I hate insurance companies. I know hate is a strong word, but I really do HATE insurance companies.

In theory, these companies are suppose to help a person get the medicine that they need. But really it feels like they are working against you and not for you.

I have medication that I need to take with me to Ireland and I need around a 4 month supply. What makes it so difficult is that the issuance company will only allow me to get a month's supply at a time. 4 months is longer than one month. To ensure that I have all the medication that I need, I have to have special permission from the insurance company to get a 4 month's supply. This is what the insurance company told me that process would be:
1. Get a prescription for the amount of medication that you need
2. Make sure that your account with the insurance company is paid up for has long as you are gone for
3. Go to the pharmacy to have prescription filled
4. Get a vacation override from insurance company

So, in theory it sounds simple. Follow the steps and you are good. But of course, it could not go smoothly. You would think that after I went through this process for Hungary I would know what is going on. But of course I don't :)

Here are some things that I have learned about dealing with insurance companies when traveling:
1. Start dealing with them well before you go abroad- this time it took me 2 very stressful weeks to make sure everything was in order. Give yourself plenty of time.
2. Roll with the punches- Though the insurance company will tell you what to do, in the end it will not go smoothly. Just know that so you are not surprised when it happens
3. You are the glue- I found that it was I who had to communicate with the pharmacy, doctor's office and the insurance company to make sure that everyone is communicating with each other
4. Check ups- call the pharmacy and other offices to make sure that they are meeting the deadlines that you need
5. Doctor's note- make sure that a doctor writes you a letter saying what medication you are on so if you get searched on the airport, you have the doctor's note to show that you are not smuggling drugs.

Good news is that I was able to get all the medication that I need for my trip :)

My goal for my next major trip is not to be stress when dealing with the insurance company. We will see how that goes......

No comments:

Post a Comment